There are several reasons why someone might not take their medications as directed. Some of these reasons include:
* You simply forget,
* Bad or uncomfortable side effects,
* Not understanding the instructions,
* Being away from home,
* Running out of medications,
* Having too many pills to take,
* Feeling too busy,
* Not wanting others to notice you taking the medication,
* Changes in your routine,
* Feeling very depressed or overwhelmed, or
* Current alcohol or substance use.
If you have had a hard time taking your medications, talk with your healthcare provider. He or she can give you ideas for overcoming any problems you have with following your treatment program. If you would like to review some of the strategies we discussed in earlier presentations, and hear examples from other people with hepatitis C, you can choose them from the next section.