Pegasys Dosage for Hepatitis BThe recommended dose of Pegasys for treating hepatitis B in adults is 180 mcg each week for 48 weeks. This medicine is not approved for treating hepatitis B in children.
General Information on Using PegasysSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Pegasys include the following:
- Pegasys comes as an injection that is given just under the skin (subcutaneously) once a week for 24 to 48 weeks.
- Use Pegasys on the same day each week.
- This medication comes in a vial, a prefilled syringe, or an autoinjector. All forms are for a single use only. Any unused portion must be discarded; it cannot be saved for later.
- It is best to inject Pegasys into areas of the skin that have a layer of fat underneath. This includes the thigh or abdomen (stomach), away from the navel (belly button). Try to rotate the injection sites; do not inject in the same place twice in a row.
- Never shake Pegasys, as this could damage the delicate medication. Make sure to take your dosage out of the fridge for 20 minutes before administering it to allow it to come to room temperature.
- Make sure your healthcare provider teaches you exactly how to inject Pegasys. This includes:
- How to prepare the skin
- How to prepare and mix the injection
- How to inject the medication
- What to do with your used needles (this may vary, depending on the local laws and regulations).
If you are not comfortable with any part of the process, please let your healthcare provider know.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed. Pegasys will not work if you stop using it too soon.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Pegasys dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.