Using too much PegIntron is unlikely to cause problems, other than the usual side effects of this medicine. The specific effects will depend on factors such as how much of the drug was used and whether it was taken by mouth or given as an injection. Treatment will likely involve supportive care to treat any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
Can You Use Too Much PegIntron?PegIntron® (peginterferon alfa-2b) is a prescription medication used for the treatment of hepatitis C. It is normally given by injection.
The specific effects of an overdose are currently unknown, but would likely depend on the dosage, whether it was taken by injection or by mouth, and various other factors.
Overdose EffectsIn studies, overdoses with this drug did not seem to cause any problems, other than the usual PegIntron side effects. While somewhat reassuring, this cannot rule out the possibility of serious problems, especially in the case of a massive overdose.
If a PegIntron overdose is taken by mouth, it is not expected to cause serious problems, although this is not known for certain. PegIntron is a delicate protein that must be injected because it would be destroyed by the digestive system if taken by mouth.
Treatment for a PegIntron OverdoseIt is not known how best to treat a PegIntron overdose. Therefore, treatment will likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
It is important to seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have used too much of this medication.