VICTRELIS Side Effects
The most commonly reported side effects of VICTRELIS include fatigue, nausea, and insomnia. Reactions to the drug tend to be bothersome, but are generally not dangerous. However, seek immediate medical care if you develop any potentially serious problems, such as difficulty swallowing, hives, or unexplained swelling.
As with any medicine, VICTRELIS™ (boceprevir) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with VICTRELIS. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Common Side Effects of VICTRELISVICTRELIS has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking VICTRELIS, peginterferon alfa, and ribavirin were documented and then compared to the side effects that occurred in a similar group of people taking just peginterferon alfa and ribavirin.
In these studies, the most common bothersome (but usually not dangerous) VICTRELIS side effects included:
- Fatigue -- in up to 58 percent of people
- Nausea -- up to 46 percent
- Altered taste or a bad taste in the mouth -- up to 44 percent
- Chills -- up to 34 percent
- Insomnia -- up to 34 percent
- Hair loss -- up to 27 percent
- Decreased appetite -- up to 26 percent
- Diarrhea -- up to 25 percent
- Joint pain -- up to 23 percent
- Irritability -- up to 22 percent
- Dry skin -- up to 22 percent.
Other common reactions, occurring in 11 to 21 percent of people, included:
- Dry mouth
- Shortness of breath.